CFAR – The Center for Formative Action and Reflection
A holistic center for, by, and with community-based workers, leaders and ministers
CFAR is a holistic center that connects, supports, nourishes and trains individuals who serve in front line community organizations.
A bit more about the proposed mission:
Our community is in need of an oasis specifically designed for, by and with social service workers, leaders and ministers; a place and space where they know they will be welcomed, supported, emotionally nourished, intellectually challenged and spiritually developed. A place where they can find the strength they need to serve our community in life giving ways, avoid burnout, and continue to transform themselves and the community around them.
A supportive and sustainable environment where people engaged in community based work thrive.
What services does CFAR offer?
Reflection Circles are CFAR’s core program. CFAR has established a home for future and current Reflection Circles. These circles involve a wide variety of community-based workers, leaders and ministers. Currently 12 circles exist involving over 100 participants, but it is our view that many more circles are needed in our community. Reflection circles are flexible, confidential, structured, case-based, support meetings, which enable participants to learn from their own and other’s ongoing successes and challenges. They are participant-driven and enable members to integrate formal training with a wide variety of wisdom sources so as to improve their day-to-day personal and professional decision-making. They are also known as Wisdom Circles, Clarity Committees, Dialogue circles, Theological Reflection Circles or Circles of Trust.
Other CFAR Services:
- Quarterly, innovative all-day training seminars on topics the CFAR community is requesting.
- Multi-session (4-8 sessions) mini courses on topics the CFAR community is requesting.
- Yoga, Meditation, and Zumba classes, and access to discounted Acupuncture services.
- Individual and organizational coaching and consultation
- Consciousness-raising events and celebrations
CFAR is an all volunteer effort, and genuine partnership between the Martinez Street Women’s Center, the San Antonio Mennonite Church, Haven for Hope, CFAR Consulting and the CFAR Leadership Council.
CFAR’s Impact in 2016:
- In total, almost 500 community-based workers, leaders, and ministers were impacted by CFAR in 2016 with almost 150 engaged on an ongoing basis with over 60 local organizations being impacted. We stress this fact because ongoing human development is not limited to a course or seminar; it is a sustained, iterative, lifelong process. 500 CFAR participants served may not seem like a very large number to those who assume large numbers equals collective impact, but keep in mind all this has been done via an almost ALL VOLUNTEER effort, and each CFAR participant impacts dozens to hundreds of community members through their community-based work, leadership and or, ministry.
- In 2016, CFAR placed over $100,000.00 worth of high-quality services into the San Antonio community at an actual cost of just under $6000.00. (Our Lead Animator raises his own salary via teaching and consulting) Thus, each CFAR participant received an average of at least $200.00 worth of services from CFAR, and…. a $1 donation to CFAR is multiplied almost 17 times. We deeply appreciate your own going support!
Contact: Don D. Arispe PhD; Lead Animator, 210 219-8257, firstname.lastname@example.org